08 July 2014

The Real Life

Most people are afraid to take risks. However, there are some who aren't. It may be for the reason that when they tried to take a risk, failure came as an answer. As I was searching about quotes on risk taking, I stumbled upon Helen Keller's words. According to her' "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."  Think of it this way. Imagine you're in front of a big canvas and below are paintbrushes and buckets of paints in all sorts of colors. Looking at the blank picture, what comes into your mind? You would think that this is so plain and boring. I want to do something to give it life. So you try to bring out your creativity by playing with colors and using your imagination to create a better picture. Once you're done, you step back and admire your work and say: Whoever said you're boring? Then smile. 

I was once a blank canvas. My life then was so dull. I was afraid to try out new things, go on an adventure, and even decide for myself. In other words, I was afraid to take risks. My way of thinking then was I just wanted to always stay on the safer side because I don't know how to accept failure, most especially rejection. But as I mature, I've realized that I want something new. I don't want to be complacent with how things are going in my life. I want to be brave enough to spread my wings, go with the flow and see where life takes me. And I'm glad I did.

Working in another country led me to so many realizations. My everyday routine has taught me a lot of things- to value my time, appreciate the people I deal with, learn from my mistakes and be grateful for what I have. Back at home, everything was easy breezy because I live with my family. I never worry about my food because my parents would prepare it before I even wake up. Whenever I go to work or somewhere else, my father would drive for me so I wouldn't be late. Whenever I'm sick, expect my family to take care of me. When I'm tired from work, I can go to bed early and sleep without any disturbance. Life is different when you're abroad. You have to do things on your own. You can only depend on yourself not on other people. This experience has allowed me to test my patience and practice my independence. At first, I was really struggling but I'm glad that I'm slowly getting used to it. It has changed not just myself but also my perspective in life. I am happy because all the while I thought I couldn't make it. But as days go by, I'm starting to enjoy the perks of being independent. Of course, I still miss the presence of my family but I know that they're proud of me. I can always feel their love and support in every decision that I make. I don't want to have regrets because I didn't try this or that. I want to live my life to the fullest. I want to discover what lies ahead and what's in store for me.

As what Oprah said: Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it. Never be afraid to take risks. If you fail at it, don't lose hope. At least you've tried your best. You can do better next time. If you succeed, then you deserve a pat at the back. Experience is the best teacher anyway. Success may not be always on our side but what matters most is that we learned something that would help us become a better version of ourselves. 




No comments: