05 January 2014

Dreams mean work.

December 13, 2013

I woke up early this morning with a heavy heart. It took me a while to get up from bed and head straight to the bathroom to take a bath. My eyes were still sore from last night's crying moments with family and friends. I fought back the tears that were about to fall then. I just took a deep breath and convinced myself that this is the moment I have been waiting for. 

Last night as I was packing my things, my mom, sister and nephew were all there inside my room. Papa came in a little late because he came from my tito's house. We were talking, laughing and taking pictures. The only thing that was on my mind that time was how I wish I could spend more time with them. I was the last to sleep because of the nonstop "take care, we'll miss you and goodluck" messages from friends amd family. I was really touched by their thoughtfulness. Their messages and well wishes have given me so much joy and courage. I slept beside my mom and the moment I laid down, I hugged her tight and we both cried. No words came out. We already know what's in our hearts. 

On our way to the airport, Elmo (my nephew) kept on talking to me. He knew that I was leaving but not the fact that I'll be back after 2 years. I was waiting for him to remind me about his pasalubong of 2 doughnuts, fries or gummy candies which he normally say everytime I leave the house. But he didn't. He was very busy taking our pictures, talking to me and my mom and playing games on the ipad. 

As we approached the airport, I felt like my heart's about to explode. The hugs and kisses made it hard for me to let them go. The fact also that my kuya and ate were not there made it even worse. They'll be flying back home on May and unfortunately, I wouldn't be there when they arrive. The moment I bid goodbye to my family, I couldn't control my tears anymore. There's no turning back. 

February 24, 2014

After more than two months, here I am now embracing the life of an independent woman. It was such a struggle to start from scratch in a foreign land. You have to be tough in order for you to survive. You have to fight the urge of giving up and contradict every inch of homesickness. I have to motivate myself everyday that I came here for a purpose and a goal. Everything is new, everything is a sacrifice. I wake up early for work, cook my own food, do the dishes and laundry. Unlike when I was at home, I can wake up late with food on the table. Yes, I do miss that kind of life but I'm somehow happy and proud of myself because I've learned to become independent. One step at a time. 

First day at work was excruciating. I didn't know anybody. Some people were a bit snob, some were friendly. I felt as if I'm all alone. Everybody has their own groups. They talk about something I don't even know. The usual first day at work syndrome. I wanted to cry but then I realized that what I'm feeling was just normal. I had to exert an effort to get to know my colleagues and at the same time adjust to the kind of work, culture and environment. As the days went by, I found myself enjoying the company of my new found friends. They've welcomed me and made me feel that I'm already part of the family. I am lucky because despite our differences, they have accepted me for who I am. I am beyond blessed because even if I'm still new, I will already receive an incentive after six months because we have reached our monthly targets. That's instant savings for me! The perks of working in sales. ;) Also, I have been sent to Dubai for series of party hosting trainings. It was a great experience because it helped me improve and work on my skills and at the same time meet new friends. 

But of course, despite the happiness and independence I'm experiencing now, I can't help but miss everything about my family. Sometimes it sucks to go home tired from work knowing that my papa or mama won't be there to wait and eat dinner with me. No sister to share stories with. No nephew to cheer me up. I'll be missing a lot of gatherings and bondings now that I'm far from them. One of the many things you need to sacrifice when working abroad. I may be miles away from my family but our communication will always be there. Thanks to the power of technology. I can call them anytime of the day. I still know their whereabouts, I get to see and talk to them through skype. Our distance is not a hindrance. In fact, it made our relationship even better and stronger. 

Looking at the brighter side of things, this experience has helped me gain enough courage and strength to fulfill my dreams. I am overwhelmed with all the blessings that I am receiving now, have already received and will still receive.  Circumstances must not hinder us from reaching our dreams. We might feel failure at some point in our lives but don't ever give up. Who we are, what we have and where we are right now are all part of God's plan. We may not understand everything at first but at the end of the day, the dots will eventually connect and create a better picture for us. :) 


No comments: