30 June 2013

The Choice.



“He'd lived long enough to know that everyone handled grief in different ways, and little by little, they all seemed to accept their new lives.” Nicholas Sparks, The Choice



I love reading. I love books. I love the fact that I enjoy reading and collecting books at the same time. Everytime I pass by National Bookstore and Fully Booked, I'm always directed to the shelves where my favorite authors' books are displayed. I'm a proud Nicholas Sparks and Paulo Coehlo fan. Their novels inspire me a lot. Believe me, if only I have the luxury of time and money, I won't mind staying in bed, food at my side and read the whole day. Or better yet, hang out in Starbucks with my favorite frappuccino and something to munch on. Yes, reading is more enjoyable when there's food. Dont judge me.




So I came across this book at an annual book fair. It was the title that struck me the most. Without any hesitation, I purchased it and once again had that "I'm-so-excited-I-want-to-go-home-now-and-read" feeling. I wouldn't go into details as to how I've started and finished reading the novel. It was a masterpiece. A story about how far one would go in the name of love. It wasn't purely a love story though. Family, career and relationships were also tackled. It gave the term Choice a wider and even broader definition. We deal with different choices everyday - from the most complicated to the not-so-complicated ones. 

Reading this novel was very timely. It opened my mind to the reality of life. The 1st half of my 2013 was very challenging which somehow put me on the verge of giving up. It was a struggle for me to wake up every morning, go on with my daily work and pretend that nothing's bothering me. Good thing I have the company of my family and friends to keep me sane. My everyday interaction with people has allowed me to become open-minded in dealing with my personal concerns and problems.  

Life is made up of choices. To wake up every morning to go to work is a choice. Same thing goes to how you dress up for a date, the things you need to prepare for a special event, as well as how you treat yourself after a very tiring day. These things may sound too ordinary but if you try to analyze everything,  you will know that they are somehow connected to each other. 

Our choices define us.  There might be some areas in your life now which you think are a product of your choices. Whether good or bad, acceptance is the key. Be honest with yourself. If you're caught up in a very difficult situation, it won't hurt to ask for other people's advice. They might help you one way or another. However, don't let them overpower your decision. It's still your life and it's definitely your decision that should matter. We may end up making the wrong decisions once in a while, but this should not hinder us from giving it another shot. We learn from our mistakes. Never blame yourself nor others. Be brave enough to admit and accept the outcome of your choices. This will make you stronger, wiser and even tougher. You'll be able to face anything and everything that life throws at you. Above all, keep your communication lines always open with the big man up there because whatever it is that going through, He will never leave your side. Pray for guidance, strength and wisdom. He will never let you down. 

Follow your heart. It's your choice. It's your life. 

No comments: